Energy Networks Australia has released its Innovation in the Electricity Network Sector report, which highlights the innovations undertaken by energy networks to address the challenges of the evolving Australian energy system.
The report is a product of the Electricity Network Transformation Roadmap (ENTR), and it highlights a variety of case studies which detail innovative projects by networks.
Some of the highlighted benefits associated with the transformation of Australia’s power system include:
- Direct participation by customers
- Accommodating all generation and storage options
- Enabling new products, services and markets
- Providing power quality and reliability
- Optimising asset utilisation and providing operational efficiency
- Anticipating and responding to system disturbances
- Operating resiliently and managing environmental impacts
Energy Networks Australia CEO, Andrew Dillon, said integrating renewables into the system was a focus, while grid resilience was being improved at a local and system-wide scale.
“It’s important we progress initiatives such as regulatory sandboxing to ensure our grid evolves to serve customers’ needs, ” Mr Dillon said.
“The generation, distribution and consumption of energy is undergoing extensive change, particularly with the increase in distributed energy resources such as household solar and storage,”
“Across Energy Networks Australia member organisations, innovative projects are being undertaken to address the challenges to the grid that are occurring with this transformation.”
The Energy Network Australia report can be found here.