Renewable energy provider, Powershop, has announced a new electric vehicle (EV) charging tariff for New South Wales and Victoria.
The announcement came as Powershop released research showing a quarter of Australians would consider buying an electric or hybrid vehicle in the next two years.
Interim CEO of Powershop, Catherine Anderson, said the super off-peak tariff rate is more than 50 per cent cheaper than the standard off-peak tariff and will allow Powershop customers to cost-effectively charge their electric vehicles between 12am and 4am on weekdays.
“57 per cent of Australians said they would consider buying an electric or hybrid vehicle because it will help reduce fuel costs and we hope the launch of our super off-peak tariff will support the growth of electric vehicles in Australia,” Ms Anderson said.
“We want customers to be encouraged to charge up, instead of fill up.”
Powershop’s EV research found that:
- One quarter of Australians would consider buying an electric vehicle or hybrid in the next two years
- 33 per cent of Australians would consider buying an electric vehicle or hybrid in the next five years
- 48 per cent of Australians would consider buying an electric vehicle or hybrid in the next ten years
- The top five reasons for buying an electric or hybrid vehicle were to reduce fuel costs (57 per cent); because they’re better for the environment (53 per cent); to reduce carbon footprint (45 per cent); they’re cheaper to run (42 per cent); and they’re cheaper to maintain (30 per cent).
- Males between the ages of 25-34 are more likely than women to consider purchasing an electric or hybrid vehicle (28 per cent vs female 22 per cent)
“We want to give our customers a more cost effective option to charge their EV and be a driving force for EV uptake to help create a better energy future that Australians need and deserve,” Ms Anderson said.
“We believe in supporting sustainable options to safeguard the planet for future generations – from our backing in 100 per cent renewable generation, to completely carbon offsetting our customers energy use at no extra cost to them.”