The Federal Government will give more than 3.9 million Australians a one-off Energy Assistance Payment to assist with the cost of their next energy bill and living expenses.
The payment of $75 for singles and $125 for eligible couples will be exempt from income tax and will be paid automatically before the end of the current financial year (subject to the passage of legislation).
It will provide additional support to:
- 2.4 million Australians receiving the Age Pension
- 744,000 recipients of the Disability Support Pension
- 280,000 carers receiving the Carer Payment
- 242,000 Parenting Payment Single recipients
- 225,000 veterans and their dependants receiving eligible payments from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs